Monday, February 25, 2013

Why "Pocket-Friendly"?

You might have seen on my domain name that I have a little phrase there. Pocket-Friendly.

Well, let me tell you a little something about me.

I was raised by a frugal person. So much so that when his office made him choose what car to drive, he chose a simple Toyota.

Papa never raised us to love material things. Even if he was entitled to it, he never bought flashy things for himself. Credit cards? Unheard of. Mortgages? Never had them. He never bought a property, be that real estate or vehicular, unless he can pay for it in cash. I'm not saying we have much. It's just that Papa believes in delayed gratification. If you can't afford it, then maybe you don't need it.

Growing up, I only heard of Polly Pocket from classmates. Lisa Frank, who is she? Toys are not given to us. It was earned. I got a hundred pesos when I topped the honor roll. It's up to us how we will spend it. Same with buying school supplies. We are given a certain amount. If you want to splurge, so be it. But you must know the consequences of that.

Maybe that's why I am so in love with gadgets. I had none when I was young. I am not saying I was deprived. It made me realize that my parents worked so hard to get us where we are. My father is a simple man who made us shop in Tutuban at times and made us dine in Cafe Jeepney in Intercontinental Hotel during others.

Until his dying days, he chose his family. He was offered by his office to be sent to Netherlands for treatment but he opted to stay here and be with us. Family is numero uno to him.

All my frugal ways, I learned from him. I hated him for it before but I am so full of admiration for him now.

Makes me miss my Papa during times like these. He, to me, is the epitome of contentment. And I love him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment