Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Moodboard: Living-on-a-High Living/Dining Room

I was awarded Ms. Moodboard by my students last Teachers' Day as I always require them to have one. I am a believer of putting all your ideas in one place. It doesn't matter if you will create a hodgepodge of an image. That's how you know if the design will work.

Someone very close to me asked me to design his one-bedroom condominium unit. As the space is small, we had to plan the space strategically. His unit is in one of the topmost floors. I have already made my schemes and I would like to show you my favorite among the two.

P.S: I am not an interior designer. I only do this for people who are very close to me. I believe in professional courtesy. If you have a place you want done and we are in no way close to each other, please contact a licensed interior designer. 


The Space

The space is a one-bedroom condominium unit located in one of the topmost floors of the building. The site is at the busiest city in the metro.

Strengths
  • The bedroom has a floor-to-ceiling window overlooking the city. 
  • The unit comes fully-finished once it is turned over.
  • It has high ceilings.
Weaknesses
  • There is no window in the living/dining/kitchen area.
  • The space is small. 
  • The bedroom has space for one occupant only. 

The Solution


  • I reconfigured the bedroom to make it bigger and to accommodate a bigger bed and a bigger closet. 
  • I designed a customized bedroom door to avoid a space-consuming standard one.
  • I rearranged the recommended furniture for the living/dining area.

The Moodboard

This is what I envision the living/dining room area to look like.



  • Light grellow (green+yellow) walls all over to make for a sunny room. This is essential to compensate for the lack of natural lighting.
  • A wall-mounted table to act as a dining table for two. The TV will be mounted on the wall as well to save space.
  • Three tall mirrors will be put on the walls to emphasize the height and to give an illusion of space.
  • A two-seater sofa bed for emergency sleepovers. 
  • A teal (or any striking color) pouf to give a pop of color to an otherwise very neutral room. It can also be a coffee table if you put tray on top of it or it can also be an additional seat. 
  • A sunburst mirror to bounce off more lights.
  • A bamboo rug to differentiate the living from the dining area. Bamboo is essential as the owner is asthmatic and may be allergic to other kinds of rug.
There's my vision for the living/dining area. I will be posting more on the bedroom soon. 

1 comment: